Jeffrey R. Bergstrom
Mr. Bergstrom’s practice is focused primarily on business, real estate and tax transactions. His wide-ranging general counsel transactional experience has enabled him to assist and represent clients involved in a wide variety of business situations, including: structuring and forming all types of business entities; business succession through acquisition, merger, reorganization, business and tax planning and/or asset and equity sales; financing transactions; negotiating and drafting contracts; litigation and general business counseling.
He also represents clients involved in a wide variety of real estate transactions. These matters have included: structuring, negotiating and documenting the purchase, sale and exchange of commercial, office, multi-family, hotel and retail properties, as well as undeveloped land; structuring, negotiating and documenting the financing for both lenders and owners; representing borrowers, investors and lenders in pre-development, construction, interim and permanent loan transactions and with traditional and non-traditional lending agreements, sale/leasebacks, joint ventures and partnerships; negotiating and drafting construction contracts including owner/architect agreements, construction management agreements and specialized construction documents; structuring, negotiating and documenting leases for both landlord and tenants, including ground leases, office and retail leases and sale/leaseback agreements; advising and assisting with both routine and extraordinary tax deferred exchanges; conservation easements; title matters; easement and property line issues; advising and documenting various forms of concurrent ownership; property management and brokerage issues; consulting contracts and related concerns.
In addition, Jeff provides timely and relevant tax information regarding the ever changing tax rules; and as a “transactional tax” attorney, often advises his clients and consults with other attorneys to assist them with structuring the most economical and practical solutions for their desired transactions, including advising on the tax consequences of the formation and operation of limited liability companies, partnerships and other entities designed to hold real estate and other investment assets; planning, negotiating and implementing tax strategies for the sale, acquisition or reorganization of businesses.
- Mastin Bergstrom LLC, 2012- Present
- Spencer Fane & Grimshaw, LLP f/k/a Grimshaw & Harring, PC, Of-Counsel, 2009 – 2012
- Darling, Bergstrom & Milligan, PC – Shareholder, 2000 – 2009
- Bendelow & Darling, PC, Shareholder, 1990 – 2000
- Past Member of the Real Estate Section Council of Colorado Bar Association
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Rating – AV® Preeminent
- ALH Holding Company vs. Bank of Telluride, 18 P.3d 742 (Colo. 2000)
- Colorado Lawyer, January 2005, “Understanding the Tax Consequences of Tort Settlements and Awards”
- Colorado Lawyer, March 2014, “Recent Developments with Conservation Easements“
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation, University of Denver Sturm College of Law 1996
- Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management, The University of Akron 1990
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), The University of Akron 1990
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Real Estate and Business Law Section
- Past Member, Executive Council of the Real Estate Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association
- Member, Colorado and Denver Bar Association
- Admitted to practice before all Colorado courts and the US Tax Court